25 February 2020
The intention of Coventry's new city centre is to create:
• an environmentally unfriendly place,
• where the masses must shop,
• and spend more than they can afford (and getting into more debt),
• on items they don't need,
• and which have been shipped around the world,
• manufactured by those who have not been paid a living wage.
The Green Party believes, both here in Coventry and nationwide, that we need a society-wide emphasis on sustainability.
We can't keep consuming as we have, with shopping fuelled by credit card debt.
Scott Redding, local Coordinator for the Coventry Green Party, said:
"Local high streets throughout Coventry should be strengthened, rather than drawing retail activity away into a city centre that will take 15 years to build.
"Instead of a Disneyland of a city centre, Coventry must attract the same degree of private investment and have it focused on putting our economy, city-wide, on a sustainable footing (retrofitting houses, renewable energy projects ward by ward, public transport)."
Sign Up for Updates